I was born and grew up in Melbourne, Australia, moved to Newcastle, Australia for my Ph. D. studies, spent a year in Haifa at the Technion getting my Masters degree, and meeting my wife in a combinatorics class. My postdoctoral studies were at the University of Waterloo in Canada, from where I moved to Israel and began a long career with the Research Division of IBM. I worked for IBM in Haifa mostly, but also in Toronto Canada, and Bangalore, India. I am now an academic at the University of Haifa, Department of Information Systems, and I also teach at the Afeka College of Engineering in the Department of Service Engineering.
I have participated actively in several fields of research for the past 38 years, publishing 73 papers and 17 patents. My first years of research were in the area of Combinatorial Design Theory where I proved a number of well-known results including the asymptotic existence of resolvable Steiner Quadruple Systems. I completed the proof of the existence of resolvable Steiner Quadruple Systems in 1987, seven years after finishing my doctorate on the subject. I also initiated the study of “Halving the Complete Design” which has become an active area of research and generated some beautiful new results.
Subsequently, I began working in a variety of areas in Computer Science, most notably in the automation of software testing and in the movement for model-based software and systems engineering. My interest in the area grew from a study of formal methods for hardware testing and a desire to adapt these techniques to the world of software engineering. I was involved in the efforts to standardize the UML as a software modeling language and I founded the European Conference on Model Driven Architecture, serving as its Chair and Steering Committee Leader from 2003 till 2009.
In 2008 I began my studies of Service Science in the context of IBM’s IT service delivery systems in Bangalore. I continue to be involved in the study of Service Engineering with emphasis on services for emerging markets, services in the public sector, and mobile services. I also founded and chaired the first international conference on services in emerging markets (ICSEM).
I am still active in the area of software engineering, and serve on the Editorial Board of the journals SOSYM (Software and System Modeling) and STVR (Software Testing Verification and Reliability).
Undergraduate and Graduate Studies
|Degree||Name of Institution
|Period of Study|
|Dip. Ed.||State College of Victoria at Hawthorn (Melbourne, Australia)||1975
|B. Sc. (Hons 1)||Monash University (Melbourne, Australia), Pure Mathematics Department||1971-1976
|M. Sc.||Technion Israel Institute of Technology, Mathematics Department||1978
|Ph. D.||University of Newcastle (Newcastle, Australia) Faculty of Mathematics||1977-1980|
|Name of Host||Name of Institution and Department/Lab||Period of Study|
|Prof. R. C. Mullin
|University of Waterloo, Department of Combinatorics and Optimization||1981-1982
|Years||Employer (Location)||Job Description|
|1983-1987||IBM Israel (Haifa)||Researcher, Storage Technology, Combinatorial Mathematics|
|1988||IBM Canada (Toronto)||Consultant, Data Bases|
|1989-1996||IBM Israel (Haifa)||Manager, Algorithms and Optimization, Communications Network Design, Industrial Optimization|
|1997||Telstra (Melbourne, Australia)||Consultant, Software Engineering, Communications Network Design|
|1998-2008||IBM Israel (Haifa)||Manager, Model Driven Engineering Technologies, Software Engineering, Software and Hardware Testing|
|2008-2011||IBM India (Bangalore, India)||Senior Researcher, Service Science, Service Engineering|
|2011-2013||IBM Israel (Haifa)||Senior Researcher, Data Privacy, Trustworthy Computing|
Scholarships, Awards and Prizes
- Lady Davis Fellowship (1977) for M. Sc. studies at the Technion.
- IBM Outstanding Technical Achievement Award for DASD-IO Simulator (1986)
- IBM Outstanding Technical Achievement Award for Network Design Tools (1994)
- IBM Outstanding Technical Achievement Award for Model Driven Test Generation and Execution for Software (2002)
- IBM Technical Accomplishment for Global Delivery Framework Operational Improvements (2010)
- IBM Outstanding Technical Accomplishment for Service Science (2010)
- IBM Scientific Accomplishment for Model Driven Development (2012)
Courses Taught in Recent Years
Level Type of Course Name of Course Years MBA Bar Ilan MBA optional course Service Design 2013 MBA Afeka MBA compulsory course CRM 2014, 2015 MBA Bar Ilan MBA compulsory course CRM 2015 MBA Afeka MBA optional course Mobile Service Design 2014, 2015 BSc Afeka, Software Engineering department mandatory undergraduate course Data Structures and Algorithms 2014 BSc University of Haifa, Information Systems Department optional undergraduate course Mobile Service Design 2015
Articles in Refereed Journals
- Hartman A., Parallelism of Steiner quadruple systems, Ars Combinatoria 6(1978) 27-37.
- Hartman A., A survey of the existence problem for resolvable designs, Southeast Asian Bull. Math (1979) 268-277.
- Hartman A., Resolvable Steiner quadruple systems, Ars Combinatoria 9 (1980) 263-273.
- Hartman A., Tripling quadruple systems, Ars Combinatoria 10 (1980), 255-309.
- Hartman A., Kirkman’s trombone player problem, Ars Combinatoria 10 (1980) 19-26.
- Hartman A., A survey on resolvable quadruple systems, Annals of Discrete Math. 7 (1980), 143-150.
- Hartman A., Counting quadruple systems, Congressus Numerantium 33(1981) 45-54.
- Hartman A., R. C. Mullin, D. R. Stinson, Exact covering configurations and Steiner systems, J. London Math. Soc. 2 (1982), 193-200.
- Hartman A., Quadruple systems containing AG(3,2), Discrete Math. 39 (1982) 293-299.
- Hartman A., A general recursive construction for quadruple systems, J. Combin. Th. A 33(1982), 121-134.
- Hanani H., A. Hartman, E. Kramer, On three-designs of small order, Discrete Math. 45(1983), 75-97. (Citations 13) (IF= 0.600 R(ISI)=161/312 in mathematics Q3, V)
- Hartman A., E. Mendelsohn, A. Rosa, On the strong Lindner conjecture, Ars Combinatoria 18 (1984) 139-150.
- Assaf A. M., A. Hartman, E. Mendelsohn, Multi-set designs – designs having blocks with repeated elements, Congressus Numerantium 48 (1985) 7-24.
- Hartman A., A. Rosa Cyclic one-factorization of the complete graph, Europ. J. Combin. 6 (1985) 45-48.
- Hartman A., W.H. Mills, R. C. Mullin, Covering triples by quadruples: An asymptotic solution, J. Combin. Th. A 41 (1986) 117-138.
- Hartman A., On small packing and covering designs with block size 4, Discrete Math. 59 (1986) 275-281.
- Hartman A., Partial triple systems and edge colourings, Discrete Math. 62 (1986) 183-196.
- Hartman A., E. Mendelsohn, The last of the triple systems, Ars Combinatoria 22 (1986) 25-41.
- Hartman A., Factorization of the complete uniform hypergraph, Ars Combinatoria 23 (1987) 239-250
- Hartman A., The existence of resolvable Steiner quadruple systems, J. Combin. Th. A 44 (1987) 182-206.
- Hartman A., D. G. Hoffman, Steiner triple systems with an involution, European Journal of Combinatorics 8 (1987) 371-378.
- Assaf A. M. , A. Hartman, Resolvable group divisible designs with block size 3, Discrete Math. 77 (1989) 5-20.
- Hartman A., Z. Yehudai, Greedesigns, Ars Combinatoria 29 (1990) 69-76.
- Assaf A. M., A. Hartman, On packing designs with block size 5 and index 4, Discrete Math. 79 (1990) 111-121.
- Granville A., A. Hartman, Subdesigns in Steiner quadruple systems, J. Combin. Th. A 56 (1991) 239-270.
- Etzion T., A. Hartman, Towards a large set of Steiner quadruple systems SIAM J. Disc. Math. 4 (1991) 182-195.
- Colbourn C. J., A. Hartman, Intersections and supports of quadruple systems, Discrete Math. 97 (1991) 119-137.
- Hartman A., K. Heinrich, Pairwise balanced designs with holes, Lecture notes in Mathematics 171 (1992).
- Assaf A. M., A. Hartman, N. Shalaby, Packing designs with block size 6 and index 5, Discrete Math. 103 (1992) 121-128.
- Hartman A., Z. Yehudai, Intersections of Steiner quadruple systems, Discrete Math. 104 (1992) 227-244.
- Hartman A., Y. Medan, Covering the complete graph with plane cycles, Discrete Applied Math. 44(1993) 305-310.
- Hartman A., The fundamental construction for 3-Designs, Discrete Math. 124 (1994) 107-132.
- Hartman A., Algorithmic aspects of integral designs, Australasian Journal of Combinatorics 18 (1998), 173-182.
- Farchi E., A. Hartman, S. Pinter Using a model-based test generator to test for standards conformance IBM Systems Journal 41 (2002) 89-110.
- Ziv A., M. Levinger, A. Hartman and 14 other authors, Functional verification environment for object oriented hardware designs, International Journal on Software Tools for Technology Transfer (STTT) 13 (2003).
- Hartman A., L. Raskin Problems and Algorithms for Covering Arrays , in Discrete Mathematics 284:149-156, 2004.
- Hartman A., T. Klinger, L. Raskin IBM Intelligent Test Case Handler Discrete Mathematics 284 149-156
- Beloglazov A., A. Hartman, D. Banerjee, R. Buyya Improving Productivity in Design and Development of Information Technology Service Delivery Simulation Models, J. Services Research, 2014.
- Di Cerbo F., P. Bisson, A. Hartman, S. Keller, P. H. Meland, M. G. Moffie, Towards Trustworthiness Assurance in the Cloud, Cyber Security and Privacy, 3-15, 2013
Articles or Chapters in Scientific Books (Refereed)
- Hartman A., M. Rodeh, Optimal parsing of strings, Combinatorial Algorithms on Words (1985) 155-167.
- Hartman A., K. Phelps, Steiner Quadruple Systems, in Contemporary Design Theory: 205-240.
- Hartman A., Halving the complete design, in North-Holland Mathematics Studies 149, 207-224, 1987
- Hartman A., Software and hardware testing using combinatorial covering suites, in Graph Theory, Combinatorics and Algorithms – Interdisciplinary Applications (eds. M. C. Golumbic, I. B-A. Hartman) Springer 2005.
- Banavar G., A. Hartman, L. Ramaswamy, A. Zherebtsov, A formal model for service delivery, Chapter in Handbook of Service Science (Editors P. Maglio, C. Kieleszewski, J. Spohrer), Springer 2010.
- Ferrario R., N. Guarino, A. Hartman, R. Trampus, K. Laskey, G. R. Gangadharan, Service System Approaches: Conceptual Modeling Approaches for Services Science, in Handbook of Service Description: USDL and its Methods, Chapter 4, Eds A. Barros and D. Oberle, Springer 2011.
- Hartman A., Mobile Services for Development, (to appear) in Strategic Alliance and Value Co-Creation in the Service Industry Eds S. Rozenes and Y Cohen.
F. Articles in Conference Proceedings
- Eggleton R. B., Hartman A., A note on equidistant permutation arrays, Proceedings of the Australian Combinatorics Conference – Combinatorial Mathematics V (1978) 136-147.
- Hartman A., Doubly and orthogonally resolvable quadruple systems, Proceedings of the Australian Combinatorics Conference – Combinatorial Mathematics VII (1980) 157-164.
- Hartman A., A singular direct product for quadruple systems, Proceedings of the Australian Combinatorics Conference – Combinatorial Mathematics VIII (1981) 211-220.
- Hartman A., K. Nagin, TCBeans software test toolkit, Proceedings of International Software Quality Week (QW 1999), 434-439.
- Hartman A., S. Ur, A. Ziv, Short versus long, size does make a difference, Proceedings of High Level Design Validation and Test (HLDVT) 1999.
- Benjamin M. , D. Geist, A. Hartman, Y. Wolfsthal, G. Mas, R. Smeets, A Study in coverage driven test generation. Proceedings Design Automation Conference 1999, 970-975.
- Hartman A., A. Kirshin, K. Nagin, A test execution environment running abstract tests for distributed software, Proceedings of Software Engineering and Applications (SEA) 2002.
- Hartman A., Is ISSTA research relevant to industry? ACM Sigsoft Software Engineering Notes 27 (4) (2002) 205-206.
- Cavarra A., J. Davies, T. Jeron, L. Mounier, A. Hartman, S. Olvovsky. Using UML for automatic test generation, Proceedings of ISSTA (15), 2002.
- Friedman G., A. Hartman, K. Nagin, T. Shiran, Projected state machine coverage for software testing ACM SIGSOFT Software Engineering Notes 27 (4) 2002, 134-143.
- Hartman A., A. Kirshin, K. Nagin, A test execution environment running abstract tests for distributed software, in Proceedings of SEA 2002.
- Hartman A., K. Nagin. Model driven testing-AGEDIS architecture interfaces and tools 1st European Conference on Model Driven Software Engineering. 2003.
- Hartman A., K. Nagin, Model driven testing – the AGEDIS project, in Proceedings of the European Conference on Model Driven Software Engineering 2003.
- Hartman A., K. Nagin, Model driven testing and MDA, Workshop on Model Driven Development (WMDD) 2004, 14-18.
- Hartman A., K. Nagin The AGEDIS tools for Model Based Testing ACM SIGSOFT Software Engineering Notes 29 (4) 2004, 129-132.
- Hartman A., A. Kirshin, S. Olvovsky, Model driven testing as an infrastructure for custom made solutions, Proceedings of Workshop on System Testing and Verification (SVT) 2006.
- Hartman A., Adaptation of model based testing to Industry, Agile and Automated Testing Seminar, Tampere University of Technology 2006.
- Kirshin A., D. Dotan, A. Hartman, A UML simulator based on a generic model execution engine, MoDELS Workshops 4364, 2006, 324-326.
- Hartman A., M. Katara, S. Olvovsky, Choosing a test modeling language: A Survey, Hardware and Software Verification and Testing 2006. 204-218.
- Hartman A., M. Katara, A. Paradkar, Domain specific approaches to software test automation, ESEC 2007
- Dhanesha K., A. Hartman, A. N. Jain, A model for designing generic services, in Proceedings of SCC 2009.
- Hartman A., A. Jain, J. Ramanathan, A. Ramfos, Participatory design of public sector services, in Proceedings of EGOVIS 2010, LNCS 6267, pp. 219-233.
- Agrahari A., G. R. Gangadharan, A. Hartman, A. N. Jain, N. Rajshree, Participatory service design in emerging markets, in Proceedings of SOLI 2011.
- Hartman A., A. Sharma, G. R. Gangadharan, K. Kummamuru, J. B. Somashekara Evaluating public service delivery in emerging markets, in Proceedings of SOLI 2011.
- S. Koussouris, P. Kokkinakos, D. Panopoulos, D. Askounis, A. Hartman, A. N. Jain, C. Zirpins, C. Georgeosopoulos A selection and prioritization framework for collaborative public service design, in Proceedings of 5th International Conference on Methodologies, Technologies and Tools enabling e-Government 2011.
- Kveler, K. Bock, P. Colombo, T. Domany, E. Ferrari, A. Hartman, Conceptual Farmework and Architecture for Privacy Audit, Privacy Technologies and Policy, 17-40, 2012.
- Hartman A., Teaching Holistic Service Design, in Proceedings of AMA Servsig 2014.
Patents Granted and Pending
- Gal S., A. Hartman, M. Keren, J. Marberg, D. Sheinwald and Z. Yehudai, Parallel sorting by intervals – Data Sorting, US Patent 6,065,005, UK Patent 8,960,045 Issued 2000.
- Cohen D., A. Harpaz, A. Hartman, M. Keren, and M. Shalev Method and system for displaying and editing a resource schedule, U.S. Patent 6,335,733 , U.K. Patent 2,337,677, Israel Patent 129,895 Issued 2002.
- Hartman A., P. Kram, and K. Nagin Persistent foci for finite state machine based software test generation, U.S. Patent 6,944,848 Issued 2005.
- Farchi E., A. Hartman, P. Kram, and K. Nagin State transition rule based automated test generation for non-deterministic software, U.S. Patent 7,055,065 Issued 2006.
- Emek R., A. Hartman, G. Shurek, and M. Veksler, Hyper-arc consistency in a constraint satisfaction network, U.S. Patent 7,085,748 Issued 2006.
- Hartman A., A. Kirshin, K. Nagin, S. Olvovsky, A Zlotnik Model based test generation for validation of parallel and concurrent software, U.S Patent 7,089,534 Issued 2006.
- Hartman A., K. Nagin and G. Sharon, Recursive use of model based test generation for middleware validation, U.S. Patent 7,117,484 Issued 2006.
- Hartman A., A. Kirshin, K. Nagin and S. Olvovsky, Reducing the complexity of finite state machine test generation using combinatorial designs, U.S Patent 7,024,589 Issued 2006.
- Farchi E., D. Geist, A. Hartman, P. Kram, K. Nagin, Y. Shaham-Gafni, and S. Ur, Integrating test coverage measurement with model based test generation to improve software test suites, U.S. Patent 7,272,752 Issued 2007.
- Hartman A., S. Kremer-Davidson, N. Shani and Y. Shaham-Gafny, Method and computer program for providing a representation of software modeled by a model, US Patent 8,146,051 Issued 2012.
- Hartman A., T. Yatzkar-Haham and J. Rubin, Variability layer for domain specific modelling languages that supports product line development, US Patent 8,578,324 Issued 2013.
- Banavar G., K. Dhanesha, A. Hartman, A. N. Jain, and I. Thukral, Automatically generating artifacts for service delivery, US Patent 8,752,002 Issued 2014.
- Hartman A., S. Kremer-Davidson, M. Keren and D. Pikus, Protocol independent telephony call lifecycle management, US Patent 8,849,631 Issued 2014.
- Bhamidipaty A., A. Hartman, A. N. Jain and N. Rajshree, Automated corruption analysis of service designs, US Patent 9,299,685, Issued 2016.
- Hartman A., K. Nagin, M. Moffie, S. Cohen and J. Marberg, Leveraging Storlets for more secure digital data privacy, disclosure number IL8-2013-0084, filing pending.
- Cohen S., A. Hartman, J. M. Marberg, M. G. Moffie and K. Nagin, Maintaining Data Privacy in a Shared Data Storage System, US Patent Application 14/184,718, filing pending.
- Yatzkar-Haham T., J. Rubin, A. Hartman, V. Shcherbina, Y. Sudorogin and U. Avraham, Visualizing feature model semantics in a product line development model, disclosure number IL8-2007-0201, filing pending.