The study of media effects, political and commercial campaigns, terrorism and the media, terrorism and the Internet, public opinion research
1996- present Haifa University, Full Professor
1984 Carleton University, Ottawa, Visiting Professor
1985 Stanford University, California, Visiting Professor
1988-1989 Universitat Mainz, Germany, Visiting Professor
1991-2 The Annenberg School of Communication, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia and Lehigh University, Visiting Professor
1996 Hofstra University, Long Island, NY, Visiting Professor
1997-8 National University of Singapore, Singapore, Visiting Professor
2003-2004 United States Institute of Peace (USIP), Washington DC, Senior Fellow
2005, 2006, 2008-10 American University, Washington, DC, Visiting Professor
2011 University of Maryland, Washington, DC, Visiting Professor
2010-present Member of the Editorial Board, International Journal of Public Opinion Research; Studies in Conflict and Terrorism; Megamot
2012-2015 Editor, Media Frames, journal of the Israeli Communication Association (ISCA)
2013-2014 Woodrow Wilson Center, Washington, DC, USA, Fellow
2014 Ludwig Maximilian University Munich, Germany, Visiting Professor
2015 New York University in Shanghai, China, Visiting Professor
Awards and Grants
1. Ben Gurion Foundation: Research Grant 1984.
2. The Fulbright Foundation, U.S.: Fellowship, 1984‑5.
3. Canadian‑Israel Exchange Grant, 1984‑85.
4. Ministry of Multi‑Culturalism, Government of Canada, Research grant, 1985
(with Prof. Conrad Winn).
5. Solicitor General Canada, Research Grant, 1985, (with Prof. Gabor).
6. The 1986 International Sepharadic Education Foundation (I.S.E.F) Research Prize.
7. The U.S. Education Foundation Grant for the Salzburg Seminar, 1987.
8. Exchange Grant, University of Mainz, Mainz, 1987.
9. The Canadian Faculty Enrichment Award, 1988.
10. The Alexander von Humboldt‑Stiftung (West Germany) Grants 1988‑90, 1993-4.
11. The Berman Center, Lehigh University, U.S: Fellowship, 1991-2.
12. The German National Research Foundation (D.F.G.): Research Grant for 1993 (with Prof. Dr. H.B. Brosius).
13. The Sasakawa Fellowship Grant for the Salzburg Seminar, 1995.
14. The Wally Langschmidt Award for Communication Research, South Africa, 1995.
15. Research Grant from the Israel Democracy Institute to study media coverage of the Israeli 1996 campaign (with Prof. A. Arian and Dr. G. Wolfsfeld).
16. Research Grant from the Israel Democracy Institute to study media coverage of the Israeli 1999 campaign.
17. Research Prize from the Research Authority, University of Haifa, 2000.
18. The Fulbright Foundation Grant for the American Studies Institute on U.S. Political System, 2000.
19. Senior Fellowship at the United States Institute of Peace (USIP), Washington DC, 2003-4.
20. Top Paper of Political Communication at the National Communication Association Conference (2006), with Galit Marmor-Lavie.
21. NIJ (National Institute of Justice) Grant for the project on Terrorism and Crime on the Internet (with Prof. Edna Erez), 275,000 $, 2007-2009.
22. Woodrow Wilson Center, Washington, DC, fellowship for 2013-4.
23. Member of the Academic Board, VOX-POL project, Network of Excellence for Research in violent Online Political Extremism.
24. Australian Research Council (ARC) Grant for the project “Online violent extremist audiences in Australia and the United Kingdom”, 2016-2019.
25. Distinguished International Award (by Australian Research Council (ARC), 2016-2019.
26. Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe (OSCE) grant for the creation of an online module on countering online terrorism (2016).
Ten times awarded the “best lecturer” in students’ surveys, university of Haifa